Tuesday, November 11, 2008

11:11


today is my grandparents 64th wedding anniversary. 32 years ago, my grandpa passed away. 2 years ago today, my grandma decided to join him on the golden streets of heaven.

the week before my grandma died was hard for everyone. we sat next to her bed 24 hours a day while she laid there helplessly, not able to eat, move, talk. all she could do was breathe. i remember whispering to her so many times, "it's ok to let go." we all wondered why she wouldn't let go, what was she waiting for? many people came to visit her that last week she was alive. they said goodbye to her, prayed over her, told stories, laughed and cried. those who couldn't come, called, and we held the phone up to her ear so they could say goodbye. we reminded her about all the wonderful people that were waiting for her in heaven. her husband, her son, her brothers and sisters, and above all, her Savior (the other love of her life). she still wouldn't let go. we all knew grandma was stubborn, but seriously, who knew she was THIS stubborn?

finally, my mom figured it out. "she is waiting until their wedding anniversary."

grandma had boxes of love letters that she and grandpa wrote back and forth to each other while he was overseas during the war. on the morning of 11/11, my mom read a letter to grandma that grandpa had written and the end said..."gosh darling, this would be a great day to be together, out on a beach someplace, just lying around and telling each other all the things that are in our hearts. i love you shrimp, now and forever. always remember that."

a few hours later, grandpa and grandma were reunited to celebrate their anniversary after being apart for 30 years.

the ending (new beginning?) to an amazing love story.





p.s. remember to thank your veteran's today.

p.p.s. i'd also like to point out that during this very hard time for our family, we (including grandma) were taken care of very well by the hospice nurses. seriously, these people are like angels on earth. thank god for them.

p.p.p.s. i'm posting this picture to validate the fact that i was the cutest child ever.

(me & grandma)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are cute.
and you make me cry.
your bro.

Anonymous said...

You are a golden nugget! You have Grandma's gift of writing.
Happy Anniversary Mom and Dad. XOX

Anonymous said...

Wonderful words Aimee...I am happy you are my cousin. I teard up as well until I got to the part about the picture of you being the cutest kid ever...where were Andy and I when that photo was taken? We must have been off playing somewhere without you. Just teasing! We love you big time! (I know...sometimes I'm just not very funny.) Ya

Sarah said...

Seriously, I agree w/Aunt Katie! You ARE a golden nugget! Awesome post. I put a link to it on my blog. Love ya!

Unknown said...

You are so cute, Aimee! What an awesome post!

::sniff::

Matt's peep,
K in the N